Sunday, August 8, 2010

Using Lyra watercolours.

Some of you have been asking about lyras, so here's a little something to wet your appetites! Pardon the pun!
To get started you will need:
Lyra watercolours ( I got mine form Joanna Sheen)
Waterbrush or ordinary paintbrush. ( I prefer to use a koi waterbrush)
An old acrylic block
Kitchen roll
Water in your brush and an image to paint!

When you open the tin, they look like this. They look like wax crayons and have a creamy texture when you scribble with them!
.

Start with you lightest colours first and scribble your chosen colours on to your acrylic block
Take your water brush and mix the paint gently to get the colour you want. I started with a skin tone, but have to say that you can't beat Promarkers or copics for skin tones!



Wipe your brush in between colours on kitchen roll, or the back of your hand if you prefer! Just to remove the previous colour!
 I add darker colour from my acrylic block, to my brush, then on to the image as I feel I can control how much colour I add to my image this way, but it's up to you.  You can take the colour straight from the crayon but it's much darker, so always test on a scrap of paper first. I paint around the outside of the image first, then draw the colour in with the water brush.
 Continue, until you are happy with how the image looks.
The colours are more vibrant in real life.  Sadly the camera never does justice to them!

10 comments:

Karen said...

Oooh this looks good Rosie. Never used these and I daren't buy anything else to colour with.
Lovely Tutorial!
Thankyou xx

Debs M said...

These look fab Rosie, i agree with Karen tho as i haven't got all the pm's yet! Great tutorial x

Jane said...

Oooooo these look fab!...I had never heard of them before! Thanks for the tutorial!

Julie said...

I've got some Lyras but haven't used them for ages. I agree Rosie, they look more vibrant in real life. Thanks for the tutorial.

Lauren Hatwell said...

Great tutorial Rosie. These are not at all what I expected but they look great. Love that image you've used too. Lx

Lauren Hatwell said...

Great tutorial Rosie. These are not at all what I expected but they look great. Love that image you've used too. Lx

Kathyk said...

I didn't realise they were more like wax crayons but you've gotten beeeeooootiful results with them Rosie

Kathyk

Clare Lloyd said...

great stuff rosie. a new one to me! oh heck something else to add to the crafty shopping list. X

Craftyrose said...

The list doesn't ever get shorter does it Clare? lol!xx

Kathyk said...

Wouldn't be a wish list if it kept getting shorter . . . would it?

Kathyk